In search of a good deal on chocolate




organic vegan dark chocolate, that is.  For a 3.2 to 3.5 oz bar, I think $2.00 to $2.50 is a good deal.  My all time favorite is...

Green & Black's Maya Gold (pictured below) or Ginger.  You have to be careful, though, since some Green & Black's products contain milk, which is not vegan.  It usually costs $3.75 to $4.50 for a bar, but they are occasionally on sale.  For instance, right now they have a Buy-One-Get-One-Free at Country Sun Natural Foods.  The sale can last up to a month, so there's plenty of time to try different flavors and stock up. 




My next favorite is Chocolove from Whole Foods, which sells for $2.99 or so and is currently on sale for $2.50.  I find this to be a good deal when Green & Black's is not on sale.




I have also tried Trader Joe's organic dark chocolate but don't recommend it.  It's the cheapest at $1.99 for a 3.5 oz bar; it contains the same ingredients cocoa liquor, sugar and cocoa butter; but it just doesn't taste as good.  Maybe the specific recipe or the relative proportions of the ingredients result in something different from the previous two chocolates I've tried.  In any case, I was happy at first to find such a good deal on organic dark chocolate.  After giving it a try, however, I found it to be too sweet, perhaps because of more sugar than cocoa.  I also found it to leave my palates overly dry afterwards.  Pictured below is only the truffle flavor, but I've also tried the 73% dark chocolate for direct comparison.  I've read good reviews on the TJ chocolate online, so is it just me? 


1 comment: