Antioxidants & Carcinogens

A quick Google search on "antioxidant rich foods" reveals a bunch of links listing foods such as
  • prunes
  • apples
  • berries
  • nuts
  • seeds
  • potatoes
  • beans
  • broccoli
  • etc


A quick Google search on "cancer causing foods" reveals a bunch of links listing
  • meats, especially red, processed or charred meats
  • sugar
  • fried foods
  • processed foods
    My personal favorite (funny!) are from Top 5 Cancer Causing Foods and How to give yourself cancer in five easy steps

    This is one of the reasons why I've chosen to reduce consumption of certain meats.  Fruits, veggies, beans, seeds and nuts are generally good for us, whereas meats and processed foods are generally not.  It might be the factory farmed meats that are the issue.  If you go look at the cow factory farms, they are all cramped and there is not a single blade of grass.  They are all fed soy and animal remains from other industries.  Those animals are unhealthy and can't provide for us the same way free and healthy animals can.


    There's a misconception that meat is the best source of protein and milk is best source for calcium.  As a previous meat lover who turned vegetarian over 3 years ago and vegan over 1 year ago, I'd like to attest to the fact that whole grains, beans, seeds and nuts provide plenty of protein.

    The issues I've dealt with--speaking only for myself, of course--is that I need to consume more quantity and that I need to consume more fats and oils.  A vegan diet is less calorie dense than a diet with meat, so a vegan should eat more throughout the day.  As a meat eater, I didn't have to consciously desire more fats and oils.  I've gotten skinnier over the past three years.

    I'm not to saying that eating a lot of meat is good.  The most optimal diet is probably one with some meat and a lot of vegetables.  I do not want to support unethical treatment of animals, so I'm still trying to figure out how to best deal with this.  I have been eating shrimp, anchovies, sardine and some salmon.  Since their nervous systems are not as complex, I hope to inflect less pain on them.  Anchovies and sardines contain the lowest amounts of mercury out of all seafood.

    3 comments:

    1. I love beans and nuts, but I think meat is important for our diet. And I don't believe meat causing cancer, most probably all hormones and pesticides in it causing cancer.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Please see this post for my personal experience of going vegan.

      ReplyDelete
    3. The author agrees. This post has been edited to reflect the fact that being strictly vegan is unhealthy. See above link for more. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete