A fast and healthy breakfast

I often don't have much time to eat a conventional breakfast in the morning, since I like to get as much sleep as I can before the day's agenda begins. I've found that

a couple of sprouted wheat cinnamon raisin bagels with avocado spread and chocolate soy milk is fast and sufficient. Carbohydrates, protein, fruit and vitamins...and some caffeine, too, including the chocolate soymilk.
I go to WholeFoods to buy most of my groceries since it's nearby, but I'm sure the neighborhood store or Trader Joe's should have similar items. In any case, I get the Alvarado St. Bakery's Organic Sprouted Wheat Raisin Bagels for $4.20.  I like to slice the bagels in half and toast them.  Then I cut a ripe avocado in half lengthwise and scoop out the buttery flesh with a spoon.  I spread the avocado over the toasted bagel and munch away.
and 365 Everyday Value Organic Chocolate Soymilk for $3.29
This drink is vitamin-fortified, including 50% Daily Value of Vitamin B12 per serving, among many other nutrients. If you don't want soy, the ricemilk is similarly priced and also good.


Why sprouted wheat?
I'm going to assume that you already know that whole grains are healthier than the white bread or white rice. Sprouted wheat is whole wheat that is allowed to sprout a bit before being used. It releases the nutrients in a manner that your body can better absorb. It's also easier to digest. According to Wikipedia,
Sprouts are rich in digestible energy, bioavailable vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, beneficial enzymes and phytochemicals, as these are necessary for a germinating plant to grow. These nutrients are essential for human health.
You can read more about sprouting whole grains there. In the near future, I'll discuss sprouting (or germinating) brown rice, and why I love it so much. (In fact, it sells as a premium food product and the Japanese have even made rice cookers programmed to germinate the rice for 20 hours before cooking it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment